First pie of fall! Starting off simple with an autumn cranberry almond galette.
I've noticed that when it comes to pie, cranberries tend to be mixed with other fruit, usually apples. Nothing wrong with that! But I think it might be time to let cranberries shine all on their own.
Due to a filling of just cranberries, some of you might be worried about how tart this galette might be.
I gotta be honest. I love a tart dessert. However, I know it's not for everyone so a solution: plenty of other flavors and sweeteners! Citrus, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and of course, almond. Can't have an cranberry almond galette without the almond!
Plus, you can absolutely garnish this slice of autumn heaven with as much sprinkled white sugar and/or honey drizzle as you want until you get the perfect level of sweetness.
Scroll down for the zesty, tart, yet oh so sweet cranberry almond galette recipe!Print
A little slice of Fall heaven, this tart cranberry puff pastry dessert has just the right amount of sweet!
- 1 puff pastry sheet, homemade or store bought, thawed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup golden brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- White sugar, drizzle of honey for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and lightly dust with flour. Lay the puff pastry on top.
- In large bowl, stir together all ingredients for the filling (except for the toasted almonds) until thoroughly mixed. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the filling onto the center puff pastry, leaving about a 3 inch border around the edge.
- Brush the edging with a little water. Fold the edges up and just barely over the filling. Brush with a little more water and pinch together where necessary to create a seal.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is bubbling and puff pastry is golden. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with toasted almonds, a sprinkle of white sugar, and a drizzle of honey as desired for sweetness.