Apparently I’m in the mood for all the cheese this week. Cheesy pepperoni mushroom pizza, and now vegetarian cheesy cauliflower tacos. But honestly, can you blame me??
I love a good cauliflower recipe, especially ones that substitute for meat, but you have to be careful of “the sog”. Soggy cauliflower is absolutely NO fun. Solution: panko!
Toss the cauliflower in olive oil, spices, and crunchy panko breadcrumbs. Then bake.
Simple! Of course, I added some cheese for extra yums. Sprinkle on top a little over halfway through baking and you’ll get perfectly crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, cheesy, flavorful cauliflower.
Dress up these vegetarian cheesy cauliflower tacos with some cilantro avocado sauce, more avocado (because we could always use more amiright?) and cilantro, white onion, and some lime slices for a little zing.
Ready to jazz up taco night?? Scroll down for the recipe!Print
Flip Taco Tuesday on it’s head with spiced panko encrusted cauliflower tacos baked to crispy perfection! Drizzle with a homemade cilantro avocado sauce for extra yums.
For the Cauliflower
- 1 lb cauliflower florets, roughly chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup cheddar and Monterey Jack, shredded thinly or grated
- Cilantro avocado sauce
- Avocado slices
- Lime slices
- White onion, diced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and salt.
- In a large bowl, toss together cauliflower with olive oil, spice mix, lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro.
- Add panko and toss to until completely coated.
- Place cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the cauliflower with the cheese. Place back in the oven and bake 10 minutes more, until cauliflower are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.
- Optional: Broil for 2-3 minutes until cauliflower reach desired crispiness. Remove from heat.
- Assemble tacos: Fill tortillas with heaping spoonfuls of cauliflower filling. Top with avocado slices, white onion, fresh cilantro, and a drizzle of cilantro avocado sauce. Serve immediately with lime slices for garnish