So you know how I made all the naan bread earlier this week? I’ve been trying to figure out how to eat it at pretty much every meal of the day because I’m obsessed. I’ve got tikki masala and lentil dal but what about breakfast?? Solution: Indian egg scramble!
This scrambled egg recipe is inspired by the traditional Indian Akori dish. Usually Akori is on the spicy side with chilis. I went for a milder version. Also, I like to use a little skim milk in my scrambles to help add some fluffiness to the eggs (definitely not added in Akori!).
Other than that, this breakfast scramble has all the delicious Indian flavors you love! Turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, fresh cilantro, and ripe tomatoes. Serve it with a piece of your homemade naan bread for a perfectly delicious pairing!
Scroll down for the Indian egg scramble breakfast recipe below 😊.Print
Inspired by the traditional Indian Akori dish, this egg scramble has all your favorite Indian spices and flavors! Serve with a slice of naan bread for ultimate yums. Gluten free!
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped + extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced+ extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter
- Melt ghee or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and cook 4-5 minutes, until somewhat softened. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- While the onion is cooking, whisk together eggs, milk, cilantro, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, and spices.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and pour the egg mixture into the pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, until the eggs begin to set. Once they start, gently pull the eggs from the edges to the center of the pan and fold them in, repeating until the eggs are set (look a little shiny or wet on top but are no longer runny). Remove from heat and plate as desired.
- Garnish with extra green onion, extra cilantro, and fresh ground black pepper as desired. Serve immediately with a slice of homemade naan bread!