Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! It's only Tuesday and already this week has been a DOOZY! Pantry and freezer friendly one pot turkey chili coming your way.
But first, Jay Inslee, our state governor, signed emergency measures yesterday to help limit exposure of the corona virus and flatten the curve throughout out our state. Now as much I agree with him (totes do) and even as introverted as I generally am, this is hard. I love to go out to eat, I love to go to the movies, I love spa days, I have a ton of physical therapy appointments, I grocery shop pretty much daily, and I love getting together with my friends and family.
As of right now for a minimum of two weeks, probably more, the only thing I can do on that list is grocery shop. And quite honestly? I won't go wander the aisles myself, pick up and delivery only from here on out until the risk of exposure is minimized. We have to do every little bit we can to flatten the curve amiright? Self-quarantine and social distancing for the win (😅😫).
SO what does this mean for Aberdeen's Kitchen? Luckily, nothing really 😁. I'm very lucky to have a job that can continue on without much impact despite these limitations (thank the lord for the internet!). Since most of us are hanging out at home these days, I will attempt to focus on foods you can whip up with stuff already hanging out in your pantry and freezer (ergo, one pot turkey chili). That being said, if there is anything you would love to see here on the blog, please send me an e-mail and let me know! I got nothing but time these days.
Onward! Let's talk about this one pot turkey chili.
First off, it's ridiculously nutritious. Packed with black beans, ground turkey, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, frozen spinach and tons of Mexican spices, it's full of flavor and healthy ingredients.
Thirdly, gluten free AND dairy free? That was an accident I'm not gunna lie but it's super healthy and super handy when trips to the grocery are at an all time low!
Raid your pantry and freezer and make this one pot turkey chili in just 30 minutes, recipe below!Print
Quick, simple, nutritious chili recipe with Mexican inspired flavors all done in one pot. Gluten and dairy free!
- 1 lb ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder, more as desired for spice level
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (not thawed)
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate shavings
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky red salsa (I used La Victoria medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chopped cilantro and sliced green onion, to garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add turkey cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne powder. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and green chilies. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is somewhat softened.
- Stir in the garlic and chocolate. Cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and lime juice. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add beans, salsa, chicken broth, and frozen spinach. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately.