Welp, it's freezing in our house as we await a new heating system sooooo ALL the warm soup is happening. I'm also on my healthy (eh, healthier) post holidays January kick. Let us begin with this one pot vegetable lentil stew!
It's vegan, gluten free, and chock full of veggies: carrots, celery, onion, cauliflower, tomato, chiles, and spinach. Lentil soup is one of my favorite reset meals after the holidays so it's a bit of a staple in our house every January!
Best part? It's all done in one pot and takes less than an hour. Quick, easy, simple, delicious and oh so nutritious!
Now if you'll excuse me I have to make an appointment to take Calypso to the vet. She is currently licking the walls 😳 along with her standard belly over grooming to the point of baldness. Sooo psychogenic alopecia and some mild pica. Awesome. Time for some professional help I think.
One pot vegetable lentil stew recipe below!Print
Easy, simple and healthy vegan, gluten free lentil stew chock full of veggies with cauliflower, carrots, spinach and tomatoes. Dinner done in just one hour!
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, quartered and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower pearls or small diced cauliflower
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white wine vinegar
- 14 ounces canned fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground cayenne (more as desired for spice level)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in onion, carrot, celery, and cauliflower in pot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add in chiles, lentils, and tomato paste. Cook until tomato paste starts to darken, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, oregano, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 35-40 minutes, until lentils are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Once the lentils are softened, stir in spinach. Cook 2-3 more minutes until somewhat wilted.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste plus more cayenne as desired. Serve warm.
Yes it's really 8 cups! Lentils need a lot of liquid. If you don't use all 8 cups you'll have just lentils/veggies and no stew!