HAPPY 2020!!! Hope you had a fantastic New Year's Eve and a not too exhausted New Year's day. Once again, I'm behind but I'm almost done playing catch up! This post was meant to come out before December 31st but...I'm over it. This is the last recipe left from my post surgery break and better late than never. Starting the year off with some instant pot chicken tikka masala!
So my family has a tradition of eating Indian food (aka the BEST food - the spices and flavors omg) on New Year's Eve. Growing up in LA we would always order from Akbars in Pasadena (which is apparently moving addresses if you're around that area) and I literally crave it every year. Dan and I have found some pretty legit substitutes in Seattle proper but not much yet at our new homestead further north.
You can make this delicious, flavorful dish in under an hour all in your instant pot. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes for ultimate goodness, throw it in the pot with everything but the cream and cook 10 minutes. Depressurize, add cream, pour in cream, taste test and serve.
That's. It. Scroll down for the recipe!Print
Quick and easy restaurant quality Indian dish done in your pressure cooker in under an hour!
For the Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
For the Tikki Masala Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne, more as desired for spice level
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- Cooked basmati rice for serving
- In a large bowl or ziploc bag, coat chicken in marinade ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, up to over night.
- Turn a 6 quart instant pot on sauté and use the adjust button to turn it on high.
- Melt butter in the instant pot. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until somewhat softened, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute, until fragrant, stirring frequently. Turn off saute setting.
- Pour in tomato sauce and lemon juice. Stir in chicken and marinade.
- Using the manual setting, turn the instant pot on high pressure for 10 minutes. Secure lid and turn vent to sealing.
- Once finished cooking, quick release the pressure*. Slowly pour in cream. Add salt and any more cayenne to taste.
- Serve immediately over rice with a cilantro garnish.