Looking for Christmas dinner inspiration? Look no further. Super tender, fall of the bone instant pot red wine braised short ribs for the holiday win!
Instead of taking hours on the stove slash in the oven, these ribs are done in ONE hour! Oh and...done in one pot.
Let's say it again.
No slaving away in the kitchen for hours with this dish on your time off! Serve these delicious instant pot red wine braised short ribs with creamy mashed potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce for a delectable, festive Christmas meal. Scroll down for recipe!Print
Impress your dinner guests with these deliciously tender, fall of the bone short ribs that cook up in the instant pot in less than an hour! Serve with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce for a special holiday treat.
- 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 2–3 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered and diced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (I used a cabernet sauvignon)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Turn a 6 quart instant pot on sauté and use the adjust button to turn it on high. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Pat short ribs dry with a paper towel. Season all sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding add short ribs to the instant pot. Sear all sides of the short ribs until browned and no longer sticking to the surface of the instant pot (about 10 minutes total). Remove short ribs to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil, carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until somewhat softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes, until somewhat darkened, stirring frequently.
- Pour in half of the wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the instant pot.
- Pour in remaining wine, beef stock, and add thyme and rosemary springs. Bring to a boil.
- Add short ribs back to the instant pot. Make sure they are covered in as much liquid as possible.
- Using the manual setting, turn the instant pot on high for 40 minutes. Secure lid and turn vent to sealing.
- When the beef is done cooking, the instant pot will automatically switch to warming. Let the beef sit for 15 minutes on warming before quick releasing the valve.*
- Gently remove ribs from instant pot. Add salt and pepper to the liquid in the pot as desired. Serve ribs with a generous drizzle of the liquid and veggies from the instant pot. Garnish with fresh parsley and ground black pepper. Pair with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce for a delicious holiday dinner!