It's officially summer! Summer time = grilling time = burger time amiright? BBQ cheddar cheese burgers here we come!
Now in all honesty, you should be prepared for some heat stroke status complaining from yours truly. Especially come August. BUT! I promise to do my best and keep the whining about how hot it is outside to a minimum. Plus, who can complain when there are BBQ cheddar cheese burgers on the grill??
My all time favorite condiment is BBQ sauce, hands down. Normal people eat fries with ketchup right? Or even animal style, or they get a little swanky and dip them in a little aioli sauce. Not me. BBQ sauce all the way. Sooooo....this recipe was really just inevitable.
These juicy BBQ cheddar cheese burgers are pretty much your classic American style burger with one special ingredient. I'll give you three guesses 😆.
The secret to perfect BBQ tasting goodness? Add a ¼ cup of homemade or your fave BBQ sauce (I personally like Sweet Baby Ray's) right into the patty mix. Then, when all is said and done, drizzle your stacked burger with even more of it and top with a BBQ sauce slathered bun.
Also, these only take 15 to 20 minutes to make. That's it! Who knew burgers were so easy?? BBQ cheddar cheese burgers recipe for all your summer get togethers coming up.Print
A juicy classic cheddar cheeseburger dressed up with tangy BBQ sauce. Perfect for any summer together!
For the Burger Patties
- 1 lb ground beef, 93% or 80% lean
- ¼ cup panko
- ¼ cup homemade or your favorite store bought BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Burgers
- 4 sesame seed buns
- ½ red onion, sliced into ¼ inch rounds (about 1 round per burger)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Green lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- Bread and butter pickles
- Homemade or or your favorite store bought BBQ sauce for drizzling, about 1-2 tablespoons per burger (I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce).
- Ketchup, as desired
- Mustard, as desired
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan rubbed with a little oil over medium high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, panko, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper until thoroughly mixed. Divide meat into four, large and round equal portions to make the patties. Flatten to the approximate size of your burger buns. Press your thumb into the center of each patty, forming an indent, to allow for even cooking.
- Place burger patties on the grill surface. Cook one side for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for about 3-4 minutes for a medium rare patty. For a medium patty, cook 5-6 minutes one side, and 4-5 minutes on the other. Add cheddar cheese on top and cook for another minute, until melted. Remove from heat and rest the patties for about 5 minutes.
- Optional: toast the buns on the grill for 2 minutes, face down, until slightly golden. Remove from heat and spread a little BBQ sauce on each bun.
Assemble the burgers, layering as follows: Bottom bun, ketchup, mustard, green lettuce, BBQ cheddar cheese burger patties, bread and butter pickles, red onion rounds, a drizzle of BBQ sauce, and top bun. Serve immediately.