You have to admit, I'm doing an amazing job restraining myself from busting out all things pumpkin. It may not technically be Autumn yet but oh MAN am I feeling it! The trees outside our windows are turning red, leaves are starting to fall to the ground, and the breeze has a wonderful chill to it. However, it's still technically sunny, bright, and 78 degrees.
Now I don't know if I'll be able to wait until September 22nd before cranberry, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and all that jazz start blowing up my blog but for the time being I'm going to try and keep it together. Let's compromise with some slow cooker chicken mushroom wild rice soup!
Perfect for the chillier season ahead but doesn't necessarily scream Fall right?? I told you, I got this.
Ok so. I have some news about this recipe: I ate the leftovers...for 4 days in a row.
Number 1. I ate the leftovers.
Number 2. I ate them for 4 days in a row.
WHAT?! We all know, I'm the absolute worst when it comes to leftovers. Thank the lord for my husband otherwise pretty much everything in my fridge would go to waste. But this slow cooker chicken mushroom wild rice soup? All. About It.
It's soooo creamy, just rich enough to be cozy and filling but not too rich that you can't eat more than a few spoonfuls. Also, it's SO easy to make!
Step 1: Throw everything into the slow cooker except butter, flour, milk and mushrooms . Yup, even the raw chicken and uncooked rice!
Step 2: Cook for 3 ½ hours on high, 7 on low. Stir in mushrooms, continue cooking.
Step 3: This is the only additional step that requires a little hands on cooking but it's 100% worth it. After adding the mushrooms, melt yummy butter on the stove, whisk in flour, pour in milk, whisk till smooth. Pour into the slow cooker and continue cooking until you've reached 4 hours.
Aaaaaand DONE! See? So easy, so simple, SO delicious.
Feel free to add a little more chicken broth at the end, I know I did! About an extra cup just to make things a little smoother because that butter mixture really thickens things up (omg so creamy). Salt and pepper to taste and you're good to go. Cheers to slow cooker chicken mushroom wild rice soup ALL year round!Print
Super creamy, cozy soup made right in the slow cooker. It's also loaded with veggies, chicken, and wild rice!
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts, halved if thick
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced (cremini or baby bella are best)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence (Italian seasoning will also work)
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or juice of ½ a lemon)
- 6 cups chicken broth + 1 to 2 cups extra
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup all purpose, unbleached flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives, fresh parsley to garnish
- Add chicken breasts, wild rice, carrots, celery, onion, herbs, bay leaves, white wine, lemon juice and the first 6 cups of chicken broth to a 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 ½ hours, or on low for 7 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred using tongs or two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and add the white mushrooms, stirring to combine. Cover and continue cooking for another 3o minutes.
- After adding the mushrooms to the slow cooker, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and let bubble 1-2 minutes, whisking frequently, until ever so slightly browned. Reduce heat to low and slowly pour in milk, whisking continuously, until smooth.
- Add the butter mixture to the crockpot plus 1 cup of chicken broth and stir to combine. Recover and let the mushrooms finish cooking and then add more broth as desired, plus salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chives and parsley. Serve immediately!