Soooo as I write this, Dan is out doing a draft thing for a fantasy football thing for the sports stuff. Not quite my scene 🤣.
I’ll hang out on the couch and veg out to a nice rom com, or maybe Pride and Prejudice. However, sports gatherings do have all the fun snacks amiright? So many finger food options! I’m not sure if you have any sports planned activities any time soon but in case you do, or if you just love a good appetizer, how about some baked honey bbq chicken wings??
BBQ sauce has always and forever been my favorite condiment. I like it a little tangy, and definitely not to sweet! So guess what? These baked honey bbq chicken wings come with their own homemade bbq sauce of course. It’s as simple as whisk all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Easy right??
OK step 1. Toss chicken wings in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake on a sheet pan.
Step 2. Toss baked wings in that yummy, homemade honey bbq sauce. Bake again (same sheet pan).
Step 3. Plate baked honey bbq chicken wings. Oh and drizzle with any remaining honey bbq sauce. Not wasting any of that deliciousness!
That’s it! A no frying, 1 bowl, 1 sheet pan recipe. Keep in mind that sSince they aren’t buffalo wings, I specifically made this recipe pretty mild. Of course Dan slathered them in sriracha sauce before devouring them. Honestly, if I was looking for heat I would’ve gone with a dash of Tabasco sauce 😎. But hey, you do you and feel free to add all the heat you want!
I may not be that into sports (I do like a good soccer game though) but I’m all about that game day food. Grab some baked honey bbq chicken wings and cheer on your favorite team!Print
Switch up game day with a healthier, just as delicious, chicken wings recipe complete with a quick and easy homemade honey BBQ sauce.
For the Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped to garnish.
For the Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel. In a large bowl, toss chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken wings for 30 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- While chicken is baking, make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for honey BBQ sauce.
- Drizzle cooked chicken wings liberally with honey BBQ sauce (you can also toss them together in a bowl with the sauce to get a complete coating). Place back in the oven and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve immediately!