So last week I had a special request from a friend to do a burger series on the blog. FAB idea right? I dunno about a whole series but hopefully this is a step in the right direction. We’re starting with…Hawaiian teriyaki burgers with grilled pineapple and red onion!
When my friend asked for a burger recipe, I started looking at all the bajillion different kinds of recipes there are! But then I remembered my honeymoon last year with Dan when we spent 5 days in Maui after some crazy, fun filled, somewhat exhausting touring in Japan.
Hawaiian teriyaki burgers were obviously everywhere there and I definitely had my fair share to say the least.
It’s the pineapple. Grilled pineapple on top of a juicy beef patty with teriyaki sauce??? Dooooone.
Now onto said recipe. Burgers always seem so intimidating don’t they? I don’t know why, they’re actually pretty simple! It can be hard to figure out what goes in the patty itself but luckily I’ve taken care of that for you 😁👊🏻.
Then it’s just a matter of cooking. If it’s summer time, you can grill the patties, pineapple and red onion all at the same time! If not, or if you don’t have a grill, a grill pan on the stove will do you just fine. No grill pan? A skillet will do the trick!
Don’t forget to add a slice of provolone cheese and some fresh butter lettuce to these Hawaiian teriyaki burgers. Then squish it all between a toasty, sesame seed bun. Make sure to drizzle them with a little more of that teriyaki sauce of course!Print
Juicy, grilled burgers topped with teriyaki sauce, pineapple, red onion, and provolone cheese.
For the Burger Patties
- 1 lb ground beef, 93% or 80% lean
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup homemade or your favorite store bought teriyaki sauce
- Pinch of coarse salt, and fresh ground black pepper
For the Burgers
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 4 pineapple slices
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds (about 1 round per burger)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Butter lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- Homemade or your favorite store bought teriyaki sauce for drizzling (2-3 tablespoons per burger)
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan rubbed with a little oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, panko, teriyaki sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper until thoroughly mixed. Divide meat into four, large and round equal portions to make the patties. Flatten to the approximate size of your burger buns. Press your thumb into the center of each patty, forming an indent, to allow for even cooking.
- Place burger patties on the grill surface. Cook one side for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for about 3-4 minutes for a medium rare patty. For a medium patty, cook 5-6 minutes one side, and 4-5 minutes on the other. Add provolone cheese on top and cook for another minute, until melted. Remove from heat and rest the patties for about 5 minutes.
- While burgers are resting, place pineapple slices and red onion rounds on the grill. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until charred. Remove from heat.
- Optional: toast the buns on the grill for 2 minutes, face down, until slightly golden. Remove from heat and spread a little teriyaki sauce on each bun.
- Assemble the burgers, layering as follows: Bottom bun, butter lettuce, provolone burger patties, red onion rounds, pineapple slices, drizzle of teriyaki sauce, and top bun. Serve immediately.
If you’re grilling these burgers on a larger outdoor grill, you can grill the burger patties, pineapple, and red onion all at the same time! Just make sure to remove the pineapple and red onion after 2-3 minutes per side and let the burgers continue cooking to desired doneness.