Redo time! This is one of my go to pasta dishes. I made it for the blog almost exactly two years ago but the photos were OH so yellow, I figured it was time for a fresh take. Starting the week off strong with creamy tomato basil tortellini.
Cue old post in 3...2...1!
This past Christmas eve, my dad made Fettuccini Alfredo. When I say made I mean tried. Rather unsuccessfully. Having learned from that experience, I’ve got a cream sauce that even he could make! (love you dad ????) Now want to spice up a regular alfredo? Got you covered with this creamy tomato basil tortellini!
Super easy, light on the cream, and whips up in just 10 minutes. Throw in some tomatoes, basil, and a hint of garlic, and you’ve got yourself a snazzy tasting (and looking) sauce!
I was looking for more than your go-to fettuccini noodles with this creamy sauce, so I cooked up some 4 cheese andspinach tortellini to go with it. The cheesy spinach tortellini adds more flavor and more color to the dish. Add a salad and some garlic bread and it’s dinner for the family all in 20 minutes! Even the kids will love this one. Whip up this creamy tomato basil tortellini and let me know how it goes!Print
- 20 oz pack cheese and spinach tortellini
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp basil, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated + extra for garnish
- 1/8 tsp crushed chili pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- Cook tortellini as directed by package and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour and garlic until combined.
- While whisking, slowly pour in broth, milk, and heavy cream.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and whisk in parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the tomato, basil and crushed chili pepper flakes. Add salt to taste.
- Add drained tortellini to the cream mixture and stir until evenly coated. Serve immediately with more freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.