This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Christmas is here!!! Well, almost. Just a few more days! Until then, let's really get into the holiday spirit with some Homemade Peppermint Vodka Hot Chocolate!!! Yes?? It's got chocolate and peppermint vodka. Come on, you love it.
First off, you can easily simplify this recipe if your pressed for time by using a pre-made hot chocolate mix. Just add a little cinnamon and vanilla, and make sure to use milk! Having said that, it's the holidays. Let's get snazzy. REAL melted chocolate with cream and whole milk? AND it's easy? Done and done.
Also, making your own peppermint vodka couldn't be easier if you tried, unless you bought one already made at the store...like I said. It's the holidays. This particular peppermint vodka recipe comes from a fabulous friend of mine from work, Rene Rosenfeldt. Otherwise known as Ms. Ne! 😀 Without her, this Homemade Peppermint Vodka Hot Chocolate recipe would not have been possible this year.
She absolutely outdid herself this year making homemade peppermint vodka, irish cream and coffee liquor in adorable bottles. I can't WAIT to share her wonderfully delicious, ridiculously easy recipe with you. After trying it, you'll never want to buy infused vodka from the store again.
I should also mention, ladle some out into mugs for the kids, then add the peppermint vodka, and enjoy a nice adult beverage this Christmas. Now, let's get a hot chocolate party going! But excuse me while I dive into this pot of Homemade Peppermint Vodka Hot Chocolate over here...:-P
Homemade Peppermint Vodka Hot Chocolate
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 bottle good vodka (750 ml)
- 12 red and white candy canes
- Optional: a couple drops red food coloring for a brighter color, 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract for a stronger flavor
For Rene's Peppermint Vodka:
- Pour vodka into an airtight jar. Add the candy canes and seal with the lid. Let sit for at least 12 hours until candy canes are fully dissolved.
For the hot chocolate:
- In a large sauce pan, stir together the whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and white sugar.
- Over medium heat, scald (do NOT boil - little bubbles will start to form around the rim) the milk mixture, about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the chocolate up into pieces. When the milk is ready, add the chocolate and lower the heat to medium low.
- Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted and mixed in.
- When cool enough to drink, pour into desired mugs and add peppermint vodka (16 ounce mug = 1 ounce peppermint vodka).
- Garnish with whipped cream, bits of candy cane, and enjoy!
Special thanks to Rene Rosenfeldt for the Homemade Peppermint Vodka Recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
I recently made some regular hot cocoa with fat free milk. Don't be a fool, use Vitamin D whole milk and it'll change your life for the better.
Great pictures Chef, I love the peppermint mash-up.
I’d love the recipe for peppermint vodka and coffee liquor
Hi Kristy! The recipe for the peppermint vodka is included in the hot chocolate recipe. I wish I had Rene's coffee liquor recipe! Maybe I'll be able to snag it from her this year 😉.
Hi, do you use 12 large candy canes or 12 mini candy canes for the peppermint vodka?