I should also mention, ladle some out into mugs for the kids, then add the peppermint vodka, and enjoy a nice adult beverage this Christmas. Now, let's get a hot chocolate party going! But excuse me while I dive into this pot of Homemade Peppermint Vodka Hot Chocolate over here...:-P
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 bottle good vodka (750 ml)
- 12 red and white candy canes
- Optional: a couple drops red food coloring for a brighter color, 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract for a stronger flavor
For Rene's Peppermint Vodka:
- Pour vodka into an airtight jar. Add the candy canes and seal with the lid. Let sit for at least 12 hours until candy canes are fully dissolved.
For the hot chocolate:
- In a large sauce pan, stir together the whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and white sugar.
- Over medium heat, scald (do NOT boil - little bubbles will start to form around the rim) the milk mixture, about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the chocolate up into pieces. When the milk is ready, add the chocolate and lower the heat to medium low.
- Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted and mixed in.
- When cool enough to drink, pour into desired mugs and add peppermint vodka (16 ounce mug = 1 ounce peppermint vodka).
- Garnish with whipped cream, bits of candy cane, and enjoy!
Special thanks to Rene Rosenfeldt for the Homemade Peppermint Vodka Recipe!