Fourth of July is in less than a week!!! We all know what that means...GRILLING TIME!!!! AKA Caramelized Onion Blue Cheese Burgers!!!!
My Dad grilling away! We had quite a feast.
I'm already a bit overcooked on bratwurst this season so I went the burger route for this Independence Day. Who doesn't love a big gnarly burger smothered with onions and dripping with cheese? Caramelized Onion Blue Cheese Burgers?? Yes please!
I added some baby arugula for the greens (the peppery taste goes perfectly with the creamy blue cheese) and of course a slice of ripe, just off the vine tomato.
Now for the fun part. Freshly caramelized onions. OMG so good!!! It's easier than you think. Throw thinly sliced onions in a hot saute pan with olive oil and cook till brown. YUP! That's pretty much it. Drizzle some coarse salt on there for a little seasoning and BAM! Deliciousness.
Perfect burgers for July 4th because guess why???....blue cheese!!! Get it???? HAH! I'll stop.
Seriously though. Give these a whirl! Also, check out the pictures of grilling and burgers on fire below 🙂
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, preferably chuck meat, no more than 80% lean.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large slices of fresh bleu cheese, or about 11/2 cups bleu cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 burger buns
- Beer' n' Brat Mustard, for spreading
- Heat up a grill until coals are orange and covered with ash.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, egg and panko until thoroughly mixed. Divide meat into four, large and round equal portions to make the patties. Top both sides with generous amounts of salt and pepper.
- Place burger patties on the grill surface. Cook one side for about 4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for about 3 minutes. Add blue cheese and cook for another minute, until melted. Remove from heat and rest the patties for about 3-4 minutes.
- While burgers are grilling, heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Drizzle the olive oil in the pan and heat for about 30 seconds. Add sliced onions and a dash of coarse salt and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, until thoroughly browned. Remove from heat.
- Toast the buns on the grill, no more than 30 seconds per side. Spread mustard on both buns.
- Add a layer of baby arugula to the bottom bun. Put the blue cheese burger patty onto the arugula and top with a tomato slice and caramelized onions. Add the top bun and enjoy immediately!