If you’re up here in the pacific northwest, remember how it was spring a few weeks back? Temp in the 60’s and sunshiny every day? Right. Absoltely no complaints here that the chilly, rainy days are back and Spring is on hiatus. Honestly, couldn’t be happier.
However, this salad is a reminder of more warm and sunny days to come. What better way to say hello to the sun than with a southwestern style chipotle salad? And with easy, homemade tortilla strips? (the BEST part I might add).
Quick, delicious, and refreshing after months of root veggies and stews! Fresh spring lettuces, black beans, yellow corn, ripe grape tomatoes, bright bell peppers, chunks of creamy avocado, topped with cilantro, queso fresco, those crunchy tortilla strips and drizzled with chipotle dressing? YUM!
Also, this recipe is a great way if you, like myself, always seem to have an over abundance of corn tortillas hanging around your pantry. The tortilla strips are SO GOOD! I find myself munching on them while I toss the rest of the ingredients together. Find a decent hiding place for them or there’ll be none left to garnish this colorful, delectable salad!
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 16 oz carton grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup red and orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 10 oz bag chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 lb baby spring mix
- Chipotle dressing
- 1 bunch cilantro, lightly diced for garnish
- Queso fresco, crumbled
- 10 corn tortillas, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 2 cups canola oil, or enough oil to cover up to a 1/4 inch of your skillet
- Coarse salt
- Pour canola oil into a frying pan or skillet and turn heat to medium. Test the oil by flicking water on it. If it sizzles, add about half of the tortilla strips (If it splatters, turn heat down a little bit).
- Stirring frequently to avoid burning, cook strips until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel and sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with the second half of your tortilla strips. Set aside to cool.
- Toss romaine and spring mix together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, and avocado. Toss to combine.
- Top with tortilla strips, cilantro, queso fresco, and drizzle with chipotle dressing.