Happy Wednesday! This week started off with a BANG here in Seattle. I may have been at work in a kitchen with nary a window in sight but I was able to run outside for a quick peek of my first SOLAR ECLIPSE!!! It was AH-mazing. I was so excited that bought us our solar sunglasses over a month ago when they first appeared in tubs at the grocery store. We weren’t in the path of totality but we got pretty close! Just a sliver of the sun was left, a little crescent 🌞. Definitely one of the coolest/craziest things I’ve ever seen.
But I’m getting ahead of myself. Pause and refocus on todays tasty treat: Strawberry Cucumber Pistachio Salad.
I’m actually REALLY excited about this one. It’s way more than just a salad. It’s the ultimate summer salad. Why you ask?
- It takes less than 5 minutes.
2. After you’ve peeled the cucumbers and sliced the strawberries, there’s one step: Mix. DONE.
3. Is there a better refreshing combination than cool cucumbers and bright, fresh strawberries and mint? Ummm NOPE.
4. A little blue cheese for zesty creaminess and the obligatory cheese addition plus a few pistachios to liven it up a bit and take a step away from the traditional walnut or almond.
5. No. Vinaigrette. Needed. Mix ingredients with a smidge of lime juice and a tidge of olive oil.
SEE?? 5 minutes, no whisking, cooking, baking, nothing. Just refreshing summertime in a bowl. Also, it might sound ridiculous but the pistachios really do add more fun to the salad. Their nutty yet unique taste partners perfectly with the flavor of the blue cheese.
Alright, hope to it! There’s not much of summer left so mix up a bowl of Strawberry Cucumber Pistachio Salad and enjoy it while it lasts!
- 2 cucumbers, peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup pistachios, shells removed
- 4 ounces fresh blue cheese, crumbled (I used chèvre)
- 2-3 sprigs mint, roughly minced
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients together. That's it! Served chilled.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to take a photo and tag it with #aberdeenskitchen. I can't wait to see what you cook up!