Done in just thirty minutes, these breakfast tacos are jam packed with veggies, flavorful potatoes, black beans, and scrambled eggs. Also works as a burrito! Vegetarian and gluten free.
- 1 lb russet potatoes, diced (no need to peel!)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 ounces canned green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, roughly minced
- Whole wheat taco tortillas, warmed (corn tortillas for gluten free option)
- Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, Red salsa for drizzling (I used homemade roasted salsa, but your favorite store bought or a pico de gallo will work just fine)
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, and covering with a lid or foil between stirs.
- Add bell pepper and cook another 8 minutes, until potatoes and peppers are softened, stirring frequently. Stir in black beans and chilis. Cook for 2 more minutes, until warmed through. Remove to a bowl and set aside in a warm place. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, spinach, and cilantro.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and pour the egg mixture into the cleaned skillet. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, until the eggs begin to set. Once they start, gently pull the eggs from the edges to the center of the pan and fold them in, repeating until the eggs are set (look a little shiny or wet on top but are no longer runny). Remove from heat.
- Fill warmed tortillas with hearty spoonfuls of the scrambled eggs and cooked potato mixture.
- Top tacos with a drizzle of salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately