Much easier than it looks pull apart bread recipe from scratch with delicious pesto flavor in every bite!
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup water between 110 and 115°F.
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade pesto
- Optional: Extra 1-2 tablespoons melted butter and fresh chopped parsley for brushing
- Activate the yeast: Pour warm water into the bowl of a standing mixer. Sprinkle yeast on top. Add sugar and give the mixture a small stir. Cover with towel and let sit for 10 minutes. Be patient! If yeast is activated, you will see foam on top of the mixture, and even a few small bubbles. Also, if you take sniff, it will smell very much like yeast.
- Fit mixer with dough hook attachment. Add the butter, egg, milk and salt to the bowl. Mix together on a low speed until combined.
- Still on a low speed, add flour 1 cup at a time and mix until just combined. Once all the flour is combined in the bowl, turn the mixing speed up to medium until it forms a soft dough, about 1 minute.
- Turn the speed up to medium high and mix for 4-5 minutes until the dough is elastic (this is kneading your dough).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Grease a large bowl with a little butter (you can use the same bowl you made the dough in). Form the dough into a ball and place in the greased bowl. Cover with saran wrap or a towel and let rise in a warm place or in a bread proofer, until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Grease a 9X5 bread pan.Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 8X12 inch rectangle. Spread pesto over dough in an even layer. Cut the dough lengthwise into 3 equal strips. Cut the dough crosswise in half. This will give you 6 4-inch squares. Fold each square in half, and place in pan, folded side on the bottom with the open (pesto visible) side on the top (pictures added in Notes).*
- Cover pan with saran wrap and let rest in a warm place for 25-30 minutes until it does not spring back when pressed with a finger.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread for 25-30 minutes until top is golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter and parsley if using. Serve warm!