- Homemade or store bought hummus (I like roasted red bell pepper best but for autumn maybe try a pumpkin hummus!)
- Homemade or store bough pita chips or pita bread
- 1 bunch golden beets, greens removed
- 1 bunch red beets, greens removed
- About 1 cup pistachios, lightly salted
- About 1 cup walnuts, pecans (try out this candied version too!), and dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pepitas, roasted and lightly salted
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 4–8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4–8 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced (I used Tillamook)
- 4–8 ounces Kalamata olives, pitted
- 8 ounces cup figs, halved
- 8 ounces dates
- 1–2 red apples, sliced (I like fuji or pink lady)
- 2–3 black grape bunches
- 4–8 ounces blackberries
- Olive oil, honey, roughly chopped parsley, salt and pepper for garnishes
Cook the Beets
- Add beets to a large pot* and cover with water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for about 40 minutes, until the beets are soft enough to pierce with a fork but not soft enough to break apart.
- Remove from heat and run under cool water. Peel off easily removable skin with your hands or a spoon and let cool.
- Slice into wedges and set aside until ready to plate.
Arrange the Cheese Board
- Plate sliced beets and sprinkle with some parsley, a pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Plate figs and dates and drizzle with a little honey. Sprinkle with a pinch salt if desired.
- Plate hummus and drizzle with a little olive oil. Top with pepitas, some parsley and fresh ground pepper. For a touch of autumn red, sprinkle it a little ground paprika!
- Plate kalamata olives and feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley and fresh ground pepper.
- Arrange pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries, pistachios, pita chips, apple slices, pomegranate, apples, grapes, blackberries and cheddar cheese slices as desired.
I actually cook the golden beets and the red beets separately (if the red beets bleed into the water at all they can dye the gold beets. but you definitely don’t have to!
Change the ingredients and their amounts around as much as you want! Want more cheese? Go for it! Not into dates? Switch them out for more figs or something entirely different!