- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (13 ounce) can full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (13 ounce) can low fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 lemongrass sticks
- 4 stems cilantro
- 2 mint sprigs
- 4 Japanese dried chili pods
- 4-6 ounces rice noodles
- Salt, to taste
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened and onion becomes translucent.
- Turn heat to medium high. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add red curry paste and chili paste, cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the rest of the lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, and chicken stock. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in coconut milk until completely combined.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add cilantro stems, mint sprigs, lemongrass sticks, and chili pods*. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup is somewhat thickened.
- Remove lemon grass sticks, cilantro, mint and chili pods and discard. Add rice noodles and shrimp. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until noodles are tender and shrimp is cooked through. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, mint, sliced jalapeño and green onion.
*For easier removal, tie together cilantro stems and mint sprigs with cooking twine if desired.