- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 15 ounces canned garbanzo beans, drained
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt to taste
- Fresh parsley, minced to garnish
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Place bell peppers on a foil or parchment paper lined sheet tray. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the skin is wrinkled and charred, flipping the peppers over half way through.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Once cool to the touch, remove the stem and the charred outer skin. Cut each pepper in half and remove the seeds.
- In a food processor, pulse the roasted peppers, onion, garbanzo beans, garlic, paprika, cumin, pepper, lemon juice, tahini and olive oil until completely smooth. Add salt and/or more pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with some lightly toasted pita bread!