Take the heat up a notch and try these crispy, spice rubbed baked chicken sandwiches spread with a homemade spicy mayo and a drizzle of hot sauce.
FOR THE CRISPY PANKO RUB
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unbleached, all purpose flour
For the Spicy Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Original Hot Sauce) + extra for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more as desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (more as desired)
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 4 brioche burger buns, split lengthwise
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded down to 1/2 inch in thickness
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Pickles (I'm partial to Bubbies Bread & Butter Chips)
- Tomato slices
- 3 cups coleslaw cabbage mix
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + extra for brushing chicken
- In a medium bowl, toss coleslaw mix, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil together until completely coated. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the spicy mayo. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the rub: Mix together the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl until completely combined.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Brush evenly with a little bit of olive oil. Rub spice mix on both sides of chicken, coating each side thoroughly. Tap gently to remove excess.
- Place chicken breasts on prepared baking sheet. Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until panko is golden and internal temperature reaches 165˚F. For extra crispiness, broil for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, place cheese slices on bottom buns. Lightly toast all buns until cheese is melted.
- Spread spicy mayo on all toasted buns. Place panko crusted chicken breasts on top of each cheesy bottom bun. Layer with coleslaw, tomatoes, and pickles as desired. Drizzle with hot sauce and any more spicy mayo as desired before adding the top bun. Serve immediately.