Festively decorated deviled eggs with paprika, turmeric, and cumin for a "pumpkin" orange hue. The perfect Thanksgiving appetizer!
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less!)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh chives, sliced, for "pumpkin" stem garnish
- Fill a large saucepan with cold water about half way to top (high enough to cover eggs completely).
- Place eggs in water, then turn the heat on medium-high and cook for 20 minutes.
- Run eggs under cold water. When they are cool to the touch, carefully crack each one on a counter top, and gently peel off the shells.
- Slice eggs in half lengthwise and remove egg yolks to a medium bowl or food processor. .
- Add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, dried mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder to the yolks. Mash together using a fork or a food processor until fully combined. If the mixture is too dry, add more mayonnaise (and salt to taste).
- Either by the heaping spoonful or by piping, refill the egg whites.
- Sprinkle each with a pinch of paprika and/or cayenne. Add a single sliced piece of chive to one end of each egg filling. Use a knife to create lines in the filling to for a "pumpkin look". Sprinkle with a little paprika and cayenne if desired to garnish. Chill until ready to serve.