One pan brussels sprouts side dish in a homemade cream of mushroom sauce with tons of flavor, no oven or casserole dish needed! Vegetarian and gluten free.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used a chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used skim milk, but any kind of fat content will work!)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until fork tender, stirring frequently, about 6-8 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour half of the white wine into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Melt butter over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have softened and released their juices, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté one minute, until fragrant.
- Pour remaining white wine into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add brussels sprouts back into the pan. Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, slowly pour in milk and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes, until somewhat thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.