Flavorful, Italian inspired shrimp and rice bake that’s dairy free and done in less than 45 minutes! (Adapted from Good Housekeeping)
- 1 lb 16/20 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small, sweet Italian red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease a 9X13 casserole dish. Add rice and half of the Italian seasoning to the dish, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until somewhat softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the white wine and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the drained tomatoes, half of the cherry tomatoes, other half of the Italian seasoning, half of the fresh herbs, and the remaining wine. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining fresh herbs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Remove from heat.
- Place the shrimp on top of the rice in the casserole dish. Pour the tomato mixture over the shrimp in an even layer.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes, until rice is cooked through and shrimp is opaque. Garnish with fresh herbs as desired. Serve immediately.