Sweet, juicy, strawberries and fresh sliced rhubarb with a buttery crumble topping make this a delectable spring time dessert.
For the Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Crumble
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9X13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients for the crumble until mixed. Press half of the crumble mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While the bottom layer of crumble is baking, mix together all the ingredients for the strawberry rhubarb filling in a medium bowl.
- Spoon the strawberry rhubarb mixture on top of the baked crumble bottom. Sprinkle with the remaining half of the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 more minutes, until the crumble starts to turn golden brown and the filling is bubbling along the edges.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely, then cut into bars.*
If you’re impatient like yours truly, you can let the crumble rest for just 5 or 10 minutes before cutting into it and eating it like a classic fruit crumble!