Just 6 ingredients and 45 minutes to golden, soft pretzels. Top with melted butter and coarse salt for extra yums.
For the Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (heated to between 105 and 110°F.)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted + extra for brushing
- 4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour + extra for dusting
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
For the Baking Soda Bath
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 9 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare two baking sheets with silpats or greased parchment paper.
- Activate the yeast: whisk warm water, yeast, and brown sugar together in a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Cover with a towel and let rest for about 10-15 minutes. Be patient! If yeast is activated, you will see foam on top of the mixture, and even a few small bubbles. Also, if you take sniff, it will smell very much like yeast.
- Add melted butter and salt. Whisk until combined.
- If using a standing mixer, fit it with the dough hook. Add flour 1 cup at a time up to 3 cups, stirring in between until combined. Add 1/2 cup of flour and stir until combined until dough is thick. If it is still sticky, add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time as needed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make the baking soda bath. In a large pot, bring water and baking soda to a boil.
- Once dough is done resting, use a pizza roller or a large knife to cut it into 12 equal sections (about 1/3 of a cup each). Roll each section into a long rope about 22 inches long and with a thickness of 1/2 inch or less.
- Twist each rope into a pretzel shape: bring the ends of the rope together to form a circle. Twist the ends and then bring them back down towards you to create the shape (see notes for photo*).
- Dip each pretzel in the boiling baking soda bath for 25 seconds, no more than 30 seconds. Otherwise you’re pretzels will get an icky metallic taste to them. Remove from the bath with a slotted spoon, let water drip off for a few seconds, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt as desired. Up to 6 pretzels per sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat, brush with extra melted butter and top with more coarse salt if desired.