Super easy, nourishing, vegetarian and fun purple soup for those freezing winter days with quinoa, white beans and veggies.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florettes, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florettes, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, roughly chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 ounces canned white beans
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, raw
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence or italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (regular thyme will also work!)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white wine vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add garlic, cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in white beans and cabbage and cook another 3-4 minutes until cabbage is somewhat softened.
- Pour in white wine and stir, scraping the browned bits of the bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice, vegetable broth, kale, herbs de provence, and fresh thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa to the pot. Partially cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until kale is tender and quinoa is cooked (the germ of the quinoa will spiral around the seed when it’s done, giving it a popped open look), about 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan as desired. Serve immediately.