Soft, light, and fluffy honey butter glazed rolls with herbs and a hint of lavender.
For the Rolls
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise instant yeast (fast acting)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted + extra for greasing bowl
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups of all purpose, unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped and culinary lavender buds for garnish
For the Lavender Honey Butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon lavender extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease or line a 9X13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat water, sugar, honey, butter and milk for 1 minute, until very warm to the touch, around 110˚F to 115˚F, and whisk contents. If it’s not hot enough, continue to warm in the microwave in 10-15 second increments to reach the desired temperature, whisking after each increment.
- In the bowl of a standing mixture fitted with the dough hook attachment, add the heated milk mixture and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for 5-7 minutes, until the mixture is foamy.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of flour, the salt, herbs de provence, parsley, and the beaten egg. Mix with the dough hook on the lowest or “stir” setting for 1-2 minutes until combined and the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough is still sticking to the sides of the bowl, add 1/4 cup of flour at a time, letting the mixer run another minute, until the dough is pulling away from the sides (no more than 4 cups of flour total should be used).
- When the dough is pulling away from the sides and is only slightly sticky to the touch, increase the speed of the dough hook to medium low and mix for 5 minutes (this is kneading your dough).
- Grease a large bowl with butter. Remove the dough from the dough hook and transfer into the prepared bowl. Cover with saran wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
- When the dough is done rising, turn the dough out onto a well floured surface. Gently punch the dough down. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, divide the dough into 15 equally sized pieces. For each piece, fold the seam in and roll into a ball. Place each ball onto the prepared baking dish seam side down. Cover the baking dish with saran wrap and let rise another 20 minutes.
- While waiting, make the lavender honey butter: In a small sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add honey, lavender extract, and parsley, stirring frequently, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- When the rolls are done rising, brush evenly with half of the lavender honey butter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and the tops are golden. Remove and brush with the remaining lavender honey butter. Garnish with fresh parsley, lavender buds and serve warm.