A holiday classic, these easy, quick, and simple soft and chewy cinnamon sugar coated cookies are a breeze to make in just 30 minutes start to finish!
For the Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Red sanding sugar, for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until completely combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on a medium high speed, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 more minute.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Mix all ingredients for the topping, except for the red sanding sugar, in a shallow bowl until completely combined.
- Scoop out balls of dough, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (a little less than 2 tablespoons each), and roll generously in the topping mixture until thoroughly coated. Place onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten balls slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake 7-10 minutes, being careful not to overcook! Remove from the oven when they look almost but not quite done. They will still be quite soft in the center.
- Sprinkle cookies with any remaining topping and red sanding sugar as desired and let cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to continue cooling.