A delicious, healthy, warm you up (vegan!) soup with carrots, potatoes, a little apple, and fresh coriander (cilantro) made in just 25 minutes!
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced (I left the peels on)
- 1/2 lb russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 ounce fresh coriander (also known as cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or white wine vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider (optional – can substitute with another cup of vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Coarse salt, and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cook until somewhat softened and onion is starting to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring frequently, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add carrots, potato, apple, ground coriander and ground paprika. Cook until somewhat softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in broth and apple cider.. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook 10 minutes, until carrots and potato are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove cover. Stir cilantro, stems and all. Cook for two minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and blend until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little cream swirl (non-vegan topping), couple drops of olive oil, a little ground paprika, and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
* If using a standing blender, definitely let the soup cool somewhat. Boiling hot soup + a lid on standing blender will cause the lid to fly off when you start blending.
To get that little swirl garnish, whisk equal parts heavy whipping cream and skim milk it in a small bowl (whisking makes it lighter so that it will stay on top of your soup!).