Deliciously marinated jerk chicken with the perfect balance of savory, sweet, and spicy flavors.
- 4–5 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 4–5 chicken legs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced + extra for garnish
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, stems and seeds removed, minced*
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil + extra for grilling
- Lime slices for garnish
- Make the marinade: add all ingredients except the chicken and lime slices to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Marinate the chicken: Place steaks in a large ziploc bag. Pour marinade over the steaks, seal the bag, and shake to coat. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours up to overnight.
- Preheat grill. Brush the grill with a little bit of oil. Add marinated chicken to the hottest part of the grill (between 400°F and 450°F), reserving the marinade, and sear 4-5 minutes. Turn over and sear another 4-5 minutes.
- Move chicken to a cooler part of the grill (around 350°F) and brush each piece with some of the reserved marinade. Cook until the chicken temps at 165°F, about 20 minutes, flipping chicken over halfway through and brushing with more of the reserved marinade. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and lime sliced. Serve immediately.
If Scotch Bonnet peppers are not readily available, habanero peppers are a great substitution!