A yogurt based custard sweetened with honey and fresh strawberries in a flaky, golden pie crust and then topped with a drizzle of homemade lemon curd.
For the Crust
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cup cold water
For the Filling
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Lemon Curd
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- Pinch of coarse salt
Make the lemon curd
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together butter and sugar.
- Add lemon juice, zest and salt and whisk until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking until fully mixed each time.
- Heat pot over low heat and cook about 8-9 minutes, until somewhat thickened. Remove from heat and cool completely. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Make the Pie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Prepare the crust: In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and salt until fully combined.
- Add the cubed butter, and using either a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter into the mixture until the pieces are around the size of a pea.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, and cold water. Stir until the dough clumps together.
- Move the dough to a floured surface (you can keep the dough in the bowl as long as you add enough flour to your hands) and fold the dough into itself until the flour is incorporated (if it is too sticky, add some more flour to the surface or your hands) and forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into quarters and pat each one down into four discs, about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap in plastic and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the dough from fridge. Roll it out into 5-inch circles on a lightly floured surface and use to line four 4-inch tart pans. Crimp the edges as desired.
- Prick the bottoms with a fork. Line the chilled dough crusts with parchment paper and fill each with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans. Remove from heat and let them cool completely.
Assemble the Tarts
- Make the filling: Whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract together and then stir in the honey yogurt.
- Place the strawberries on top of the cooled rust. Pour the filling over the strawberries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden and custard filling is set.
- Cool for 5 minutes, drizzle with lemon curd, and serve.
If you prefer one large pie to the individual tarts, simply pat the ball of dough in step 5 of making the dough into one large disc. Then follow the recipe as written except: instead of 4 4-inch tart pans, use a 12-inch single tart pan and cook the entire tart for 40-45 minutes.