A springtime sky high cake stacked with fresh blueberries and zesty flavor, layered with homemade blueberry lavender jam and mascarpone buttercream frosting.
For the Cake
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lavender extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, plus extra for garnish
- Lemon slices, culinary lavender buds for garnish
For the Jam
- 6 ounces blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender buds
For the Frosting
Make the Cake Layers
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease 3 8″ straight edge cake pans. Line with parchment paper and grease.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Whisk until completely mixed.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand held mixer and a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract, and lavender extract on a high speed until combined, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- On a low speed, whisk the flour mixture to the egg mixture until just combined.
- Still on a low speed, pour in the buttermilk and lemon juice, mixing until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly into greased layer pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of each cake. Set on a wire rack to cool, at least one hour, or frosting will melt.*
Make the Jam
- In a small pot, stir all ingredients together for the jam over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil and gently mash. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a container and let cool completely. Chill until ready to use.
Make the Frosting
- In a standing mixer or with a handheld mixer, whisk butter and mascarpone until light and creamy. Sift in the powdered sugar. Add lavender extract, vanilla paste, and heavy cream. Whisk until completely smooth.
Assemble the Cake
- When the cake layers are cooled, place one of the cake layers with the flat side down on a plate or cake stand. With an offset spatula, spread the top with about 1 cup of frosting and 1/3 of the jam.
- Place the second layer on top of this frosted layer and spread another 1 cup of frosting and another 1/3 of the jam.
- Add on the final layer, flat side up to make the cake even. Lightly frost the rest of the cake with half of the remaining frosting. Mix a couple spoonfuls of frosting with the remaining jam. Frost the tops and sides of the cake with the mixture as desired. Place cake in fridge and chill for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from the fridge and frost with remaining frosting. Garnish with fresh blueberries, lemon slices, and culinary lavender buds.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes to an hour, until frosting is set.
- Cover cake tightly and store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
You can make the cake layers the night before! Let them cool on a wire rack, cover with some plastic wrap (still in the cake pans), and place in the fridge to chill until your ready to assemble the cake the next day.