Fluffy earl grey and lavender infused waffles bursting with fresh blueberries, just like a london fog tea latte!
- 2 cups unbleached AP flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender extract (optional – for deeper lavender flavor)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup nonfat, plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons loose leaf earl grey tea (or 2 earl grey tea bags)
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Scald milk on microwave or on the stove. Remove from heat. Add lavender buds and earl grey tea leaves and let steep for about 5 minutes. Strain into a container and set aside to cool.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Prepare with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugars together.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolk, strained and cooled milk, vanilla extract, lavender extract if using, yogurt, and softened butter together, until completely mixed.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, add the blueberries, and stir until just combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold into waffle mixture until just combined.
- Bake in waffle iron according to manufacture’s instructions (should take about 4-5 minutes to come out nice and browned.)
- Top with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey if desired. Serve immediately.