An easy, delicious pasta casserole dinner done in 30 minutes with all your favorite autumn flavors!
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (use spicy Italian sausage for a little heat)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used a Chardonnay)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (you don’t need much as the sausage will get you plenty of fat on its own!)
- Cook pasta to al dente according to box instructions, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the onion, spinach, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is somewhat softened, the spinach is wilting, and the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in pumpkin puree, ricotta cheese, chicken broth, sage, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined. Cook 1-2 minutes until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cooked rotini and pumpkin sausage spinach sauce in the prepared baking dish, stirring gently to combine. Top with half of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around the edges. Remove from heat and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.