Protein packed, flavorful Cuban style bowls recipe with mojo sauce marinated chicken and avocado pineapple salsa!
For the Bowls
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced
- 1 plaintain, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Mojo Sauce Marinade
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Marinate and cook mojo chicken: Combine all ingredients for marinade in a large ziploc bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Chill 30 minutes (up to 4 hours).
- Heat tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 6-7 minutes per side, until cook through, basting with any remaining marinade in bag. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes. Slice into 1 inch pieces. Set aside in a warm place.
- While chicken is marinating and cooking, make the cilantro lime and black bean rice: Rinse the white rice and drain. Pour into a medium pot with 2 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 12 minutes, until rice is tender and water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add lime zest, half of the cilantro, and black beans and fluff with a fork. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fry plantains: Heat enough vegetable oil in a large, high walled skillet to fill it 1/2 inch over medium high heat. Add plantains and fry 2-3 minutes (you should see bubbles immediately. If not, the pan isn't hot enough!). Flip the platains over and cook another 1-2 minutes, until browned. Remove from pan to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together avocado, pineapple, the remaining cilantro and the juice of half a lime.
- Assemble the bowls: Fill half the bowl with cilantro lime black bean rice. Top with mojo chicken, avocado pineapple salsa and fried plantains. Serve immediately.