For the Panini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 6-8 basil leaves
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
For the Avocado Basil Pesto
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Make the pesto: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Spread avocado basil pesto on the other side of each slice of bread.
- Layer two slices of bread with 3-4 leaves of basil, 2-3 slices of tomato and 3-4 mozzarella slices. Top with remaining slices of bread, avocado side down.
- Prepare a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add sandwiches to the pan and top with a heavy skillet. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Alternatively, if using a panini maker, preheat the panini maker. Place sandwiches in maker, and press down, cooking for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Serve immediately.