For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger paste or ground ginger powder
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
For the Bowls
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked, white rice
- 8 ounces broccoli florettes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- Sesame oil, extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, mirin
- Sesame seeds, fresh sliced chives for garnish
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together corn starch and 1 tablespoon of water to make slurry. Set aside. In a small pot, whisk together all ingredients and 2 tablespoons of water until combined. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Whisk in the corn starch slurry and cook 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Set aside in a warm place.
- In a steamer set, steam broccoli and carrots over boiling water for 4-5 minutes, until tender with a little bite. Toss with a splash of soy sauce and mirin. Set aside in a warm place.
- Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced chicken and cook until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Pour half of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and cook 1 more minute.
- Assemble the bowls: Add equal amounts of rice to each bowl. Top with broccoli, carrots, and chicken. Drizzle with remaining teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds and chives.