- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil*
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, vanilla extract and salt. Stir in carrots, walnuts, applesauce, and vegetable oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. If using the chocolate chips, stir them in here.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each one about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack and cool for another 5 minutes.
If you want to be super healthy, coconut oil would also work well!