- 16 ounces hot Italian pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered and diced
- 2 celery ribs, halved diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled, quarter and diced
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine or red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne powder
- Pinch chili flakes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces small pasta shells (Conchiglie pasta)
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large stew pot over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until cooked through and no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to a plate or bowl and set aside in a warm area. Drain excess fat out of the pot, reserving a little for sautéing the veggies.
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery, and parsnips in pot over medium high heat and until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage back to pot and stir to combine.
- Add garlic and all spices and herbs. Sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the wine. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes and butternut squash. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover until squash is softened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add pasta. Cook 5-6 minutes, until al dente. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.