For the Soup
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Anaheim chile, diced (seeds removed or keep as many as desired for heat)
- 1/2 Jalapeño chile, minced (again seeds removed or keep as many as desired for heat)
- 3 cups rainbow chard, roughly chopped
- 28 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh minced Cilantro, sliced avocado, sliced green onion to garnish
For the Tortilla Strips
- 10 corn tortillas, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 2 cups canola oil, or enough oil to cover up to a ¼ inch of your skillet
- Coarse salt
- Make the Tortilla Strips: Pour canola oil into a frying pan or skillet and turn heat to medium. Test the oil by flicking water on it. If it sizzles, add about half of the tortilla strips (If it splatters, turn heat down a little bit).Stirring frequently to avoid burning, cook strips until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel and sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with the second half of your tortilla strips. Set aside to cool.
- Pat chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 8 minutes. Flip chicken and cover the pot. Cook another 8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (165˚F). Remove from skillet and shred with 2 forks. Set aside.
- Pour red wine into the pot, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add onion and chilis, cook 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and rainbow chard, cook 2 minutes until just softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chicken broth, and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and garnish with cilantro, green onion, avocado, fresh ground black pepper, and tortilla chips.