- 1 large egg, yolk and white
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons for each ramekin
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the egg, egg yolks, and ½ cup of the sugar together on low speed until just combined.
- Meanwhile, scald the cream in a small saucepan until it's very hot to the touch but not boiled.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cream to the eggs. Add the vanilla and limoncello and pour into 6 to 8-ounce ramekins until almost full.
- Place the ramekins in a baking pan and carefully pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the custards are set when gently shaken. Remove the custards from the water bath, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until firm, one to two hours, up to overnight.
- To serve, spread 2 teaspoons of sugar evenly on the top of each ramekin and heat with a kitchen blowtorch until the sugar carmelizes evenly. Allow to sit at room temperature for a minute until the caramelized sugar hardens.