- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup candy canes, broken up and crushed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, mix together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, sea salt, and corn starch until completely combined.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add the egg and extracts and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate morsels.
- Cover in saran wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- After chilling, scoop and balls of dough, about 2 1/2 tablespoons each, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, being careful not to overcook! Remove from the oven when they look almost but not quite done. They will still be quite soft in the center.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 more minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.