For the Tuna Salad
- 30 ounces canned tuna, drained
- 1/3 cup celery, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup mayo + little extra for spreading
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons relish
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
For the Sandwiches
- 8 slices fresh, artisan sourdough, 1/4 inch thick.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened, for spreading
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 8 thin slices tomato
- Heat broiler with rack in the highest position.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for tuna salad and mix thoroughly.
- Arrange slices of bread on a baking sheet. Spread butter on 4 slices. These will be top of the tuna melt. Spread the extra mayo on the other 4 slices. These will be the bottom of the tuna melt.
- Place a slice of provolone and a hefty couple spoonfuls on each of the mayo spread slices. Top with a slice of cheddar cheese and two slices tomato.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes. Check and remove the buttered slices of bread when toasted. Place the pan back in the oven and broil another 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted, bubbling, and turning golden brown.
- Top with buttered slices. Serve immediately.