For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon cold water, beaten
For the Filling
- 2 lb assorted apples (honey crisp and granny smith), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare the crust: In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and salt until fully combined.
- Add the cubed butter, and using either a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter into the mixture until the pieces are around the size of a pea.
- Pour in the water and the vanilla extract. Stir until the dough clumps together.
- Move the dough to a floured surface (you can keep the dough in the bowl as long as you add enough flour to your hands) and fold the dough into itself until the flour is incorporated (if it is too sticky, add some more flour to the surface or your hands) and forms a ball.
- Divide the dough in half and pat the halves down into two discs, about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap each one in plastic and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Remove one disc from the fridge. This will be your top crust. Roll out into a 12-inch circle. Place on a round cookie sheet and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the other disc, roll out into a 12-inch circle, Place in a 9-inch pie pan, trim the overhang to 1 inch, and put back in the fridge to chill while working on the top crust.
- Remove the top crust from the freezer. Using a lattice cutter, stencils, cut outs, etc. decorate the pie crust as you desire, making sure it stays chilled by putting back in the freezer if it gets too warm. When done, place into the fridge to chill while making the filling.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl, combine apples, blackberries, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugars. Stir until completely combined, gently pressing against the blackberries to release their juices.
- Remove the pie pan with the pie crust from the fridge. Pour the filling into the pie pan, mounding the apples. Gently top the filling with the top crust and tuck edges underneath the bottom crust, crimping the edges as desired.
- Brush the top crust with the egg wash. Place back in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven and cook for 60-70 minutes, until juices are bubbling, turning halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from heat and let cool at least 1 hour, to allow the filling to set up, before serving.