- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb lean beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 large yukon golden potatoes, largely diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 11.2 fluid ounce bottle Guinness Extra Stout
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Turn slow cooker on*.
- In a large bowl, toss beef together with salt, pepper, and flour to coat. Add to the pan and cook until all sides of the chunks are browned (about 8 minutes).
- While beef is browning, add potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic and tomato paste to the slow cooker. Stir to coat.
- Add browned beef, beef broth, and Guinness to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, 8-10 hours on low. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a pint of Guinness.
I use a 5 quart slow cooker. Make sure to check the size of yours and adjust any slow cooker recipe accordingly!