For the Enchiladas
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Handful of cilantro, stems attached
- 1 yellow onion (1/2 quartered and 1/2 diced)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño sauce (I use El Pato)
- 2 cups cheddar and monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 10 6-inch corn tortillas
- Cilantro leaves, thinly sliced chives, sour cream for garnish
For the Homemade Mexican Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for Mexican spice blend. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Add chicken breast, stemmed cilantro, onion, garlic, and peppercorns and return to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a bowl and discard contents of pot. Using two forks, shred the chicken apart.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until they become translucent and start to brown.
- Add the chicken, green chilis, el pato, and Mexican spice blend to the pot, stirring to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
- While chicken mixture is cooking, spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour about 1/4 cup into a shallow bowl.
- Warm the corn tortillas on the stove or in the microwave (30 seconds).
- Assemble the enchiladas: Dip tortillas into the sauce in the shallow bowl and shake gently to remove excess. Spoon about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture onto each tortilla and top with a pinch of the shredded cheeses. Gently roll up each tortilla and place in the baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Cook for 15 minutes, until cheese has melted and sauce is slightly bubbling around the edges.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, chives and sour cream if desired.