- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot, stirring occasionally. Cook until somewhat softened and onion is starting to become translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring frequently, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the squash, apple, cinnamon, ground ginger, and nutmeg to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add vegetable stock and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce down to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour, until squash and carrots easily fall apart when cut with the side of a spoon.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the last cup of stock if necessary to reach desired consistency and salt to taste.