It may be June aka summer aka sunshine time but apparently that’s not how it works here in the pacific northwest, or at least in my Seattle corner. It’s been storming like crazy! We had a straight up hail downpour for an HOUR a couple days ago plus rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Not that I’m complaining, I love it 🤣. Not just because I’m the biggest pluviophile you’ll ever meet, but also because it’s perfect soup weather! Vegetable tortellini soup anyone?
It’s all done in one pot and takes only 35 minutes start to finish. Easy peezy!
Also, it’s vegetarian! CHOCK full o veggies: carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes, and fresh kale. Honestly though, my favorite bit is obviously the three cheese tortellini. Any excuse to eat stuffed cheese pasta amiright?
Vegetable tortellini soup recipe below!Print
One pot vegetarian tortellini soup dinner recipe chock full of veggies and done in just 35 minutes!
- 10 ounces three cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil + extra for garnish
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until onion starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute, until fragrant
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour wine into the pot and scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, milk and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Uncover the pot. Add tortellini, kale, and basil. Simmer for another 10 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and most of them float on the top of the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with remaining basil and serve immediately.